The Reel Impact Film Festival explores how motion picture is used to spread messages, drive change and achieve commercial goals for social impact organizations. The festival is focused on short films and “promo reels” that social impact organizations- both for profits and not for profits- leverage as part of their strategic communications. With the number of social impact companies growing rapidly and the explosion of the use of video online, social enterprises must embrace visual storytelling to effectively get their message out and drive the change they desire.
The festival includes an opening reception, keynote speaker and panels, several rounds of screening a variety of reels, networking opportunities, workshops and a closing ceremony with an award session.
Workshop areas include:
- Create your story – Identifying the most compelling pieces of your story or mission.
- Create the reel – Producing a movie that captures the essence of your message.
- Create the buzz – Marketing tools & techniques to distribute your movie.
- Alex Gibson, Managing Director Palo Alto International Film Fest
- Ana Blanco, Executive Director of SF International Ocean Film Festival
- Benjamin Packard, Retainer Media
- Christina July Kim, Silicon Valley International Film Festival
- David Hoffman, Varied Directions
- Gabriel Diamond, Skoll Foundation
- Jared Karol, Storyteller for Good
- Jasmina Bojic, Founder and Executive Director, UNAFF
- Ken Fischer, Truth to be Told
- Laura Michalchyshyn, Producer
- Melinda Booth, Executive Director of Wild and Scenic Film Festival
- Mia Haugen, Founder, VorVideo
- Neetal Parekh, Founder, Innov8social
- Roshanda Cummings, Impact Hub Oakland
- Susan Sullivan, Executive Director of Women for Sports Film Festival
- Tanya Stevenson, President & CEO, Breathe California and Clear the Air Film Fest
- Toan Lam, Go inspire Go / Shots of Inspirations
- Wendy Levy, Executive Director, The National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture